5.3 Emphasis (Obj. 4)
Your Task. For each of the following sentences, circle (1) or (2). Be prepared to justify your choice.
a. Which is more emphatic?
1. They offer a lot of products.
2. Cyber Guys offers computer, travel, and office accessories.
b. Which is more emphatic?
1. Increased online advertising would improve sales.
2. Adding $50,000 in online advertising would double our sales.
c. Which is more emphatic?
1. We must consider several factors.
2. We must consider cost, staff, and safety.
d. Which sentence places more emphasis on product loyalty?
1. Product loyalty is the primary motivation for advertising.
2. The primary motivation for advertising is loyalty to the product, although other purposes are also served.